Max Holste
MH.1521 Broussard "1952"

Role Six-seat utility monoplane
National origin France
Manufacturer Avions Max Holste
First flight 1952
Introduction 1954
Retired 1993 (French army)
Primary user French Army
Number built 396

Coulson Aircraft

Other Aircraft

Max Holste
MH.1521 Broussard "1952"

See more in Dassault aircraft

Max Holste MH.1521
Broussard "1952"

The Max Holste MH.1521 Broussard is a 1950s French six-seat utility monoplane designed by Max Holste to meet a French Army requirement.

The MH.1521 Broussard was designed to meet a requirement for a lightweight liaison and observation aircraft. It is a braced high-wing monoplane with twin vertical tail surfaces. It has a fixed tailwheel landing gear and is powered by a nose-mounted Pratt & Whitney R-985 radial piston engine.

 
Preserved MH-1521 Broussard at AirExpo in 2007

A smaller 220 horsepower (160 kW) Salmson 8 As.04 powered prototype aircraft, the MH.152, was first flown on 12 June 1951; it had room for a pilot and four passengers but was too small and underpowered to meet the Army requirement.As a result, the company decided to develop a slightly larger version, the MH.1521 with the engine changed to a Pratt and Whitney Wasp Junior, which at 450 horsepower (340 kW) provided almost twice as much power.

Design "The french Beaver"

The MH.1521 first flew on 17 November 1952.[2] It was later named the Broussard (lit. Man of the Bush, in the context of bush pilots rather than Bushmen). Its development was enthusiastically supported at a political level by WWII fighter ace and French war hero Pierre Clostermann, a close friend of Max Holste. Clostermann wrote a faction novel, “Leo 25 Airborne”, based on his experiences flying Broussards with Escadrille ELO 3/45 in Algeria.

The first production aircraft made its maiden flight on 16 June 1954, and 363 were built before production ended in 1961. Its similarity to the de Havilland Canada DHC-2 Beaver in looks, capability and performance led it to be nicknamed “the French Beaver”.

 

Operational history

It saw service in the Algerian War as an Army cooperation aircraft, mostly as an artillery spotter and in an air supply/ambulance role where its good short-field performance and resistance to ground fire were required. Its distinctive sound, made by its noisy radial engine and large propeller, was a disadvantage as the Algerian guerrillas could hear its approach long before other aircraft. It remained in service until the 1980s, and can still be seen in Denmark, France, the UK, and the United States being operated by enthusiasts or collectors.

You are definitely intrigued to discover

Max Holste MH.1521 Broussard "1952""

Variants
MH.152First prototype of the Broussard series, powered by a Salmson 8 As.04 inverted V-8 engine.
MH.1521Prototypes, five built plus two pre-production aircraft and 19 pre-production military variants.MH.1521AAircraft modified for agricultural use.
MH.1521CCommercial variant, 52 built.MH.1521MMilitary variant, 318 built.

Crew: 1-2

Capacity: 4-5 passengers

Length: 8.65 m (28 ft 5 in)

Wingspan: 13.75 m (45 ft 1 in)

Height: 3.67 m (12 ft 0 in)

Empty weight: 1,650 kg (3,638 lb) equipped

Powerplant: 1 × Pratt & Whitney R-985-AN-1 9-cylinder air-cooled radial piston engine, 336 kW (451 hp)

Maximum speed: 259 km/h (161 mph, 140 kn) at 1,000 m 

Cruise speed: 228 km/h (142 mph, 123 kn)

Stall speed: 92.6 km/h (57.5 mph, 50.0 kn)

Rate of climb: 3.99 m/s (785 ft/min) at sea level

Take-off run: 200 m (656 ft)

Take-off distance to 20 m (66 ft): 400 m (1,312 ft)

Landing distance from 20 m (66 ft): 400 m (1,312 ft)

Specifications

Aircrafttoaal encyclopedia

Following the end of the Second World War the company concentrated on the design of a two-seater light training/touring aircraft, the Max Holste MH.52.A low-wing monoplane with twin fins and rudders, the MH.52 first flew in 1945. The company then built a high-wing version of the MH.52 to meet a French Army requirement. Being too small this was developed into the MH.1521 Broussard and the company went on to build 370 Broussards, mainly for the French military