Republic P-47 Thunderbold
Republic P-43 Lancer 1940
The Republic P-47 Thunderbolt is a World War II-era fighter aircraft produced by the American aerospace company Republic Aviation from 1941 through 1945. Its primary armament was eight .50-caliber machine guns, and in the fighter-bomber ground-attack role it could carry five-inch rockets or a bomb load of 2,500 lb (1,100 kg). When fully loaded, the P-47 weighed up to eight tons, making it one of the heaviest fighters of the war.
The P-47 would also be the foundation stock for rebuilding a majority of the post-war European air forces. Unlike the P-51, this aircraft was easily maintained and more forgiving of pilot mistakes (due to its more robust construction). Like the USAF, these aircraft only started to retire as the second generation jets became readily available. In the early 1950s as the now renamed F-47 was being retired from active USAF service, these aircraft were through various Military Assistance Programs (MAPS) offered to numerous South American countries. For the next 15 years, the F-47 would continue as a front line fighter with these nations.
Armament6 × .50 in (12.7 mm) M3 Browning machine guns, 300 rpg Up to 4,450 lb (2,020 kg) of rockets and bombs, including
1 × Mark 7 nuclear bomb
Aircraft of comparable role, configuration, and era
The Republic Aviation Corporation was an American aircraft manufacturer based in Farmingdale, New York, on Long Island. Originally known as the Seversky Aircraft Company, the company was responsible for the design and production of many important military aircraft, including its most famous products: World War II's P-47 Thunderbolt fighter, the F-84 Thunderjet and F-105 Thunderchief jet fighters, as well as the A-10 Thunderbolt II close-support aircraft.