The PT-22’s fuselage is a simple monocoque structure, with thick gauge alclad skin. The wings feature spruce spars, aluminum alloy ribs, steel compression members, with aircraft fabric covering aft to the trailing edge and aluminum alloy sheet covering from the leading edge to the spar. The wings have 4° 10′ of sweep back, 3° of incidence and 4° 30′ dihedral
The PT-22 was developed in 1941 from the civilian Ryan ST series. The earlier PT-20 and PT-21 were the military production versions of the Ryan ST-3 with a total of 100 built. The PT-22 was the United States Army Air Corps’ first purpose built monoplane trainer. The rapid expansion of wartime aircrew training required new trainers, and the Ryan PT-22 was ordered in large numbers. Named the “Recruit”, it entered operational service with the U.S. Orders also were placed by the Netherlands, but were never realized as the nation capitulated to Axis forces. The small order of 25 ST-3s was redirected to the United States and redesignated as the PT-22A. Another order also came from the U.S. Navy for 100 examples.
Five BQM-34-53 Extended Range Firebees were also used to lay chaff corridors during the 2003 invasion of Iraq. The drones were modernized by Northrop Grumman in a fast-response program earlier that year, being fitted with chaff dispensers and other improvements including GPS-based programmable waypoint guidance systems (which may or not have been added by the upgrade program).
Maximum speed: 690 mph (1,110 km/h, 600 kn) at 6,500 ft (2,000 m)
Cruise speed: 630 mph (1,010 km/h, 550 kn) at 50,000 ft (15,000 m)
Stall speed: 116 mph (187 km/h, 101 kn)
Never exceed speed: 731 mph (1,176 km/h, 635 kn) at 50,000 ft (15,000 m)
Range: 796 mi (1,281 km, 692 nmi)
Endurance: 75 min 30 s
Service ceiling: 60,000 ft (18,000 m) +
Rate of climb: 16,000 ft/min (81 m/s)
The Standard J is a two-seat basic trainer two-bay biplane produced in the United States from 1916 to 1918, powered by a four-cylinder inline Hall-Scott A-7a engine. It was constructed from wood with wire bracing and fabric covering. The J-1 was built as a stopgap to supplement the Curtiss JN-4 in production.